Maybe it’s because we live in Texas, or maybe it’s because we love spicy food, but we make this Taco Salad quite often for quick, easy weeknight meals.
The salad often varies with whatever vegetables we have in the refrigerator and rotates depending on what’s in season, but the concept is the same every time.
Spice it up and Dig in
If you prefer, leave the lettuce whole and make lettuce tacos instead of a salad.
Topping – Texas Style
Either way – tacos or salad – to get the full, Texas vibe, you gotta top it off with avocado, jalapenos, and hot sauce or salsa. We prefer Franks Hot Sauce, but you can always use a great sugar-free salsa.
Be sure to check he label of the hot sauce and salsa closely, because sugars can hide quite easily inside.
Ingredients – Beef Taco:
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 medium onion
- 4 crushed garlic cloves
- 2 cups mushrooms
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 lb ground meat of choice
Ingredients – Salad:
- 1 head of lettuce (any variety)
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 cucumber
- 1 small apple
- 4 green onions
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 avocado
- 1 jalapeno
- hot sauce or salsa
- Heat the avocado oil in a large flat pan over medium heat.
- Slice the onions and mushrooms and add to the warmed pan.
- Season with garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper and sauté until onions are translucent.
- Add the ground beef and stir periodically until meat is fully cooked.
- While meat is cooking, cut the lettuce, cilantro, bell pepper, cucumber, apple, green onions, and tomatoes for the salad.
- Mix salad and serve.
- Top the salad with sliced avocado, jalapenos, and your choice of hot sauce or salsa.
Feel free to add whatever you want to the salad. Some additional options are:
- boiled egg
Let’s Hear From YOU
What toppings do you put on your salads? Do you have a dressing recipe to die for?
Comment below and join the conversation.