This recipe makes it easy to give in to your pasta cravings. By completely replacing traditional pasta with Zucchini Noodles, or “Zoodles,” you can enjoy Italian meals again, guilt-free.
Two Special Tricks
There are two special tricks I learned that help make this meal an almost exact pasta replacement.
The first trick is using this neat gadget, Paderno World Cuisine Tri-Blade Vegetable Spiral Slicer, to slice the zucchini squash into pasta-like strands. The Spiral Slicer comes with three different slicing attachments to make different styles of pasta – small pasta strands, large pasta strands and thin, flat fettuccine strands. Plus, it’s quite reasonable priced.
The second trick to making great Zoodles is removing the excess water from the steamed Zoodles using a salad spinner. I prefer the OXO Steel Salad Spinner. This step is very important because only a dry Zoodle will give you the desired pasta-like texture.
Doing both of these tricks together, you will never miss processed, gluten-loaded pasta again. Not to mention, you will enjoy the waistline benefits from following a grain-free lifestyle too, which is well worth the effort.
- 4-6 zucchini squash or yellow squash, depending on size
- Spiralize the squash to desired style and place the Zoodles in a colander over boiling water and steam for 10 minutes until Zoodles are slightly soft.
- While the Zoodles are steaming, prepare your choice of sauce.
- Place the cooked Zoodles in a salad spinner and spin for a few seconds to remove any excess water.
- Serve Zoodles with desired sauce, and enjoy.
Try this Asian-inspired version of Zoodles.