This new and improved version of Sweet Potato Casserole is completely sugar-free and dairy-free. It is still sweet and just as satisfying, not to mention very simple.
I prefer not to peel the sweet potatoes mostly because the nutrients are contained within the skin, but also because I hate peeling them. Actually, I dislike peeling anything in general. So much so that I don’t even own a peeler anymore. So that’s settled.
Just be sure to wash the sweet potatoes really well to prepare for the sweet potato casserole to ensure they are fully clean of anything unnatural.
For this recipe, don’t fully drain the sweet potatoes. Leave about 1/4 cup of potato water in the bottom of the pot to blend into the casserole. This boiled potato water helps thicken the casserole. Otherwise you may need to add some fat into the mix, like ghee or coconut oil.
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 5 pitted medjool dates
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp all spice
- 1/2 cup pecans, optional
- Cut the sweet potatoes into cubes.
- In a large pot, combine the sweet potatoes and dates.
- Cover with water and boil over high heat for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
- Drain the potatoes, saving about 1/4 cup of liquid in the bottom. (Can be substituted with ghee or coconut oil.)
- Add the salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the mixture completely until soft and fluffy.
- Add in the pecans, if desired, saving a few for the top.
Replace the sweet potatoes with 2 large butternut squash in this Sweet Butternut Squash Casserole.