This new and improved version of Sweet Butternut Squash Casserole is completely sugar-free and dairy-free. It is still sweet and just as satisfying.
- 2 large butternut squash
- 5 pitted medjool dates
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup pecans, optional
- Cut the ends off the butternut squash. I only use the long neck of the squash to avoid the seeds, but you can also include the ball of the squash and just remove the seeds.
- Placing the butternut squash upright, cut the tough skin off by slicing downward.
- Chop the squash into large pieces.
- In a large pot, combine the squash and dates.
- Cover with water and boil over high heat for 30 minutes or until the squash is soft.
- While the squash is boiling, heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Drain the squash, place squash back into the pot and add the salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and coconut oil.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the mixture completely until soft and fluffy.
- Scramble an egg in a small bowl and stir the egg to the squash mixture.
- Add in the pecans, if desired, saving a few for the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the edges of the squash are bubbling.
Replace the butternut squash with sweet potatoes in this Sweet Potato Casserole.