For a quick weeknight vegetable that is packed with nutrients, try this Sautéed Swiss Chard, Kale and Spinach recipe. The mushrooms add a nice earthy flavor to the greens and give each bite more texture; however, you can leave the mushrooms out if you prefer.
Feel free to choose any type of broth or stock in this recipe – vegetable, chicken or beef. Homemade broth or stock is wonderful if you have it on hand; however store-bought broth or stock is perfectly acceptable, with a word of caution.
If you typically buy broth or stock, make sure to look at the ingredient list for anything not Paleo-approved. 90% of store-bought broth or stock contains sugar; so you need to read carefully.
I recommend a great store-bought broth on my post Best Paleo Replacements.
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves or 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 lb baby portabella mushrooms
- 1/3 cup broth or stock
- 6 cups of mixed greens – I used Swiss Chard, Kale and Spinach
- Heat avocado oil in a large, flat bottom pan over medium heat.
- Slice the onion and add it to the warm pan.
- Add the crushed garlic or garlic powder, crushed red pepper, salt, and pepper. Stir into the onions.
- Cut the mushrooms in half and add them to the pan along with the broth or stock.
- Cover the pan and let simmer for 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender.
- Add the mixed greens, in batches if necessary. Use tongs to incorporate the greens with the onions and mushrooms until the greens have wilted.
- Let greens simmer over low heat for 5-10 minutes until ready to serve.
For a sweeter flavor, replace the mushrooms with 1 cup diced apples.
For a creamy texture, add 1 full can of coconut milk.Help spread the word by sharing this article
Follow Experience Paleo to stay informed