If you thought that following a Paleo lifestyle meant you could never again have creamy alfredo sauce again…then you are sadly mistaken, and majorly missing out. When it comes to sauces, creams, gravies and thickeners, there are 2 Paleo Tricks that I swear by:
- Replace dairy with Coconut Milk, Nut Milk or Hemp Milk.
- Add thickness and depth to the sauce with Arrowroot or Potato Starches. See my Best Paleo Replacements post for direct links to these ingredients.
In this recipe, I combine coconut milk and starch to get the perfect consistency of a thick and creamy alfredo sauce. Once you add the flavors from the ghee, onions, garlic and mushrooms, you have a delicious alfredo sauce completely Paleo-approved.
Makes 2 cups sauce
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 large onion, dices or sliced
- 6 garlic cloves
- 16 oz mushrooms, cut in half
- 14 oz, or 1 full can of coconut milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp arrowroot/potato starch
- Melt the ghee in a large flat bottom pan over medium heat.
- Add the onions, garlic, mushrooms, coconut milk, salt, and pepper to the pan. Stir and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- While simmering, mix arrowroot starch with a tablespoon of water and add to the simmering mushroom sauce.
- Let simmer an additional 15 minutes or until mushrooms are soft and sauce is slightly thicker.
Exclude the coconut milk and serve on top of cooked steak, chicken or pork. Yum!
Serve with:Help spread the word by sharing this article
Follow Experience Paleo to stay informed