Jicama is the new and improved white potato and is my preferred alternative in almost every recipe. It is a perfect fit in this potato salad recipe because the texture of boiled jicama remains firm and holds its shape better than white potatoes. The firmer texture of the jicama mixed with the creaminess of the avocados and boiled eggs, creates a tasteful masterpiece.
Not only does jicama improve the texture of this potato salad, but it also contains fewer carbohydrates and calories, and more fiber per serving than other white potatoes.
- 2 large jicamas
- 2 celery ribs
- 1/2 jalapeno
- 7 green onions
- 5 sugar-free baby kosher pickles (we like Del Dixi brand)
- 4 boiled eggs
- 2 large avocados
- 2 tsp yellow mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Peel and cube the jicama.
- Place the jicama in a medium pot over high heat to boil for about 2 hours.
- Once soft, drain the jicama and place them in the freezer or refrigerator to cool.
- Dice the celery, jalapeno, green onions, pickles and boiled eggs.
- Cut the two avocados in half, remove the seed and, using a spoon, scoop out the avocado flesh.
- Combine the avocado flesh and mustard into the diced vegetable mixture and season with salt and pepper.
- Once the jicama has cooled completely, combine the jicama with the avocado mixture.
- Store in a closed container in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
You can add Jicama to other recipes too. Check our this one.Help spread the word by sharing this article
Follow Experience Paleo to stay informed