This is one of my favorite traditional Armenian meals. It is a quick side dish and gives you another great way to eat green beans.
- 2 lbs green beans
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 white onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes (Be sure to read ingredient list because some brands hide sugar in canned tomatoes).
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Remove the stems from the green beans and cut them to desired size – I like two-inch pieces.
- Heat the coconut oil in a large, flat bottom pan over medium heat.
- Slice the onions and add them to the pan along with the crushed garlic. Stir until the onions are translucent.
- Add the cut green beans, crushed tomatoes, lemon juice, salt, and pepper to the pan.
- Let the mixture simmer, covered. Stir occasionally for 30 minutes or until the green beans are done.
- Replace 1 lb of green beans with 1 lb of cut okra. The tomato cuts the sliminess of the okra and makes a perfect combination.
Serve with:Help spread the word by sharing this article
Follow Experience Paleo to stay informed