This recipe replaces processed sugar with natural sugar from dates and raisins. This same substitute can be used in other dishes that call for sugar. The trick is using an immersion blender to blend the dried fruit.
- 2 cups water
- 8 dates
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 medium size bag of carrots
- 1/4 cup water
- Sautéed over medium high heat with cover on until soft.
- Combine the water, dates, raisins, garlic, nutmeg, cloves, and chili powder in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Let simmer for 20 minutes.
- While the glaze is heating, cut the carrots into matchsticks.
- Heat avocado oil in a large flat pan over medium heat. Add the carrots and water to the pan and sauté with cover for 10 minutes.
- While carrots are cooking, blend the glaze with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Pour the glaze over the carrots. Continue to simmer uncovered until the carrots are cooked to your desire.
The glazed carrots pictured above were served with a slice of venison, coated with almond meal. Cook the venison in a flat pan with avocado oil for 5 minutes on each side.