One of the best weekend breakfast or brunch item is a loaded egg casserole. Give me eggs with vegetables and a side of meat and I’m a happy camper.
Cook enough and you’ll have leftovers for your weekday mornings. Monday gets a whole lot better when you have a delicious breakfast casserole already cooked and ready for you to eat in the morning. Pair that with a cup of coffee or tea and the morning news and I bet you’ll feel great.
Don’t pigeonhole this recipe to breakfast though, egg casseroles make wonderful dinners. The light texture of the eggs and the full serving of spinach makes this a nice, light dinner.
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 lbs frozen spinach
- 12 eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt the ghee in a large, flat-bottom pan over medium heat.
- Dice the onion and add it to the pan to cook.
- After onions are slightly soft, add the frozen spinach.
- While the onions and spinach are cooking, crack the eggs into a medium bowl.
- Add the coconut milk and all the spices to the eggs. Whisk everything together.
- Using a spatula, scoop the onion and spinach mixture into a large casserole baking dish.
- Pour the egg mixture over the top and garnish with some smoked paprika for color.
- Bake the egg casserole in the oven for 30-40 minutes or until the eggs are cooked and firm.
Make an Egg Strata by adding this Heavenly Nut Bread to the bottom of the casserole dish and layering onions, spinach, and eggs on top.