A great summer salad with a hint of sweetness from the basil. It’s a great compliment to any grilled meal, backyard party or beach day.
You can make this salad ahead of time and let the flavors meld together.
- 1 hot house cucumber
- 1 lb package grape tomatoes
- 1 small onion
- 8 basil leaves
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Cut the cucumber and tomatoes to desired size. I like to use a hot house cucumber because it has fewer seeds. If you use a regular cucumber, be sure to scoop the seeds out.
- Slice the onion and basil into thin strands and add it to the vegetables.
- Add the olive oil, vinegar and salt and mix. The salt will draw the liquid from the vegetables; so only add salt once you are ready to serve.
Replace the white vinegar with equal amounts of:
- lemon juice
- lime juice
- apple cider vinegar