Ah, spinach…the amazing vegetable.
I wont lie, spinach makes killer salads! However, if you haven’t tried creamed spinach, then this recipe will blow your mind. Plus, it’s completely dairy-free. You can’t get any better – any healthier – than that.
This creamed spinach strikes the perfect balance between a creamy texture and amazing flavor. I’ve had my fair share of creamed spinach where the cream overpowers the dish. No, thank you. The cream in this recipe balances and compliments the spinach so perfectly it’s a match made in Heaven. I know you’ll love it.
If you don’t have fresh spinach, you can always substitute frozen spinach. Did you know that frozen and fresh vegetables are pretty equal in nutritional value? Check out the 9 Best Paleo Shopping Tricks for more ways to save money, eat healthier, and live happier.
Popeye was definitely on to something with all that spinach, check out these 33 Amazing Health Benefits of Spinach.
Find a way to eat spinach every day and your health will skyrocket.
- 1 large container of spinach
- 1 medium onion
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt (extra 1 tsp for the water)
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 tbsp arrowroot starch
- Bring a medium pot filled with salted water to a boil over high heat.
- Blanch the spinach by adding the leaves to the boiling water and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the spinach from the water and place the leaves in a strainer to drain. I like to store the boiled water in a gallon size zip lock bag; it makes a great vegetable stock.
- While the spinach is draining, dice the onion.
- Using the same pot, heat the ghee over medium heat and add the onion, garlic powder, nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
- Dice the drained spinach and add the leaves to the pan.
- In a small bowl, mix the coconut milk and arrowroot starch together and add to the pan.
- Stir to incorporate everything and let cook for 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
Spinach for every meal! Check out this Egg Casserole that can be made with the leftovers.
Cook spinach into my one-pot-wonder, Chicken with Spinach and Carrots.Help spread the word by sharing this article
Follow Experience Paleo to stay informed