Serve these scones warm, with a little melted ghee or paired with your morning cup of coffee.
Funny story, this recipe was designed to be chocolate walnut cookies, but they didn’t turn out how I envisioned a cookie should be. They also didn’t pass my highly developed cookie test, which consists of my son begging for more and giving me the seal of approval. If I can make something that can fool Wyatt then it’s basically Paleo gold.
Since this recipe was certainly not a cookie, I turned them into scones and loved it. I took a batch to work, and within minutes, they were gone. Everyone enjoyed them, which was a huge win in my book considering most of them don’t follow anything close to Paleo. I’ll change their minds. *evil laugh*
My husband works at Tejas Chocolate Craftory and BBQ and introduced me to the most amazing ingredient ever made – raw cacao nibs. Where have these been all my life? I’m certainly late to join the raw cacao nib train, but so glad I know about them now. If you’re also late joining the raw cacao nib train, check out this post on Best Paleo Replacements for a direct link on where to find this raw cacao nibs as well as other Paleo-approved, hard to find ingredients.
Note: If you choose to exclude the raisins, I would suggest adding 1 more pitted medjool dates to ensure the slight sweetness will remain since the raw cacao nibs have no sugar.
Makes 8 scones
- 8 pitted medjool dates
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- 1/4 cup ghee, extra to coat the pie dish
- 1 egg
- 1 cup cassava flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup raw cacao nibs
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Optional: 1/4 cup raisins
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the medjool dates, water, ghee and egg into a food processor and process until smooth.
- Add the cassava flour, baking powder and salt and process just enough to min the dry ingredients into the wet.
- Scoop the mixture into a medium bowl and add the cacao nibs and chopped walnuts.
- Optional: add the raisins.
- Using a spatula, mix the ingredients together so the ingredients are well dispersed.
- Scoop into a round pie dish coated with ghee.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
Dates and fruit offer amazing, natural and healthy sweetness to all things baked and delicious. Check out some other baked goods sweetened only with fruit and dates.