You’re never too old for chicken fingers; however, it’s time our generation stops frying them.
Baking the chicken fingers provides the next best option. Plus, you don’t have to run for miles to burn them off, which was the whole reason I stopped eating them as I got older.
In this recipe, I used boneless chicken thighs because the higher fat content retains more moisture as you bake them. If you use chicken breasts, I suggest you brine the chicken in a salt-water mixture 12 hours prior to cooking. This will help the chicken breasts retain more moisture as you bake them.
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 lb boneless chicken thighs
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Using either a plate with slightly curved sides or bowl, combine the almond flour, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- In a second plate or bowl, whisk the eggs.
- Cut the boneless chicken thighs into strips of desired size.
- Coat the chicken in the eggs, and flip to ensure both sides are fully coated.
- Transfer the chicken into the almond flour mixture. With a dry hand or a fork, turn the chicken over so both sides are covered.
- Place the chicken on a flat pan, fitted with a cooking grate to elevate the chicken from the juices. You can also line the pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil to save on clean-up.
- Place the remaining chicken into the eggs and almond mixture until all the chicken is coated.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until chicken is done.
Variation: Fish Sticks
Replace the chicken with white fish, like Haddock, Cod, Catfish, Halibut, Rockfish, Sole or Bass.
Be sure to find wild fish.
Depending on where the wild fish comes from, you may notice the fish has been “fresh-frozen.” This means it is immediately frozen as soon as it comes off the fishing boat. This is a great alternative if you don’t live near the water.
Serve with:Help spread the word by sharing this article
Follow Experience Paleo to stay informed