This dish is a fully rounded vegetable dish. I like to use broccoli to give it some green color, but cauliflower works wonderfully as well. This is also a wonderful pre-workout snack because of the complex carbohydrates.
- 1 large butternut squash
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 head broccoli/cauliflower
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 egg
- Peel and dice the butternut squash and garlic cloves.
- Cut the potatoes and broccoli/cauliflower to desired size. Place the vegetables in a large pot, fill with water and boil for 20 minutes.
- Set aside 1/4 cup of the boiling water in a medium-sized bowl for later. Drain the vegetables and place into a casserole dish. You can save the boiled water in a closed container and use it later as a great vegetable broth.
- Take 2 cups of the vegetables and add it to the bowl with the boiled water. Add the ghee, coconut milk, salt and pepper.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the mixture until smooth.
- Scoop the blended mixture into the casserole dish and stir to combine.
- Scramble the egg in a small bowl and pour over the top of the casserole.
- Place the casserole under the broiler until the top looks brown and slightly crisp.
For an alternative casserole, try my Shepard’s pie, which is loaded with vegetables too.